Valve and Bethesda Open Pandora’s Box of Paid Mods on Steam

So Valve or Bethesda went ahead and did it, depending on which side of the story you subscribe to – they threw Skyrim modding under a bus. Previously 100% free domain, mod creators can now sell the content they made for Skyrim on Steam Workshop and receive a 25% cut of proceeds. The remaining 75% are split between Valve, which hosts the marketplace, and Bethesda, which developed the game.

Questionable business practices aside, this was a long time coming. Since the early days of PC gaming, modding has been regarded as standard practice for enthusiast PC gamers. The vanilla game would be just a starting point, and they could either roll up their sleeves and tweak, or download someone else’s modifications to enhance the game, at least in the eyes of the beholder.

Read more Valve and Bethesda Open Pandora’s Box of Paid Mods on Steam

Selphea
Selphea is a crazy MMO player who can never decide what to play and runs weird builds. But hey at least they work!